Euro Trip
Day 2
What a trip this has been so far! And it's only our "real" first day. I'm soooo glad to be done with all that long traveling. Cameron and I have probably both only gotten a total of 6 hours of sleep over the past two nights. It's been very interesting dealing with this jet-lag, quite the experience for me since I have never really experienced it before. It's just down right horrible!
So. We're in PARIS! Finally. Our train pulled into town a couple hours behind schedule (so the train ride was closer to 15 hours - ugh), and when we didn't wake up until the train was literally stopped in the station. So we jumped up, threw ourselves together, grabbed our bags, and hurried out the door. Outside we instantly fell in love! With Paris (we're already in love with eachother -- cheesy I know). Sunny skies, cool air with a slight breeze, and almost nobody speaking English. The language barrier is difficult, but somewhat entertaining while trying to communicate. So we're at the train station, which wasn't in the middle of the city, kind of out of the way. After we figured out how to get on the metro (which is am-AAA-zing by the way), we headed to a random stop in the middle of the city, figuring we'd find someplace nearby with WiFi so we could get in touch with our local-Italian accomodation. Lugging our bags around town was soooo not fun (thanks Cameron for recommending duffel bags and not suitcases with wheels like what everyone else has). After asking around a bit, we located a Starbucks with Wi
fi. And after spending 30 minutes in there, we couldn't figure it out. So we went down the street to good ole McDonalds. There, the WiFi hooked right up. We got our guy's phone number and called him for a meeting place/time. Next we just had to find a phone to call. So as we got ready to hike our bags out of the McDonald's basement (yes they had a dining room in the basement) I asked the employee mopping the stairs where we could find a phone. After muttering somethings in french he pulled out his personal cell phone and handed it to me! (So much for the French being rude! They are super nice!) So we called our guy, and set up a time and place to meet. We headed to meet him via the metro (which did I mention we love?), and he took us right to his place. He lives in this cute little (but I guess it's big for French-standards) apartment with a kitchen, two bedrooms, dining room, kitchen, bathroom with shower, and a toilet (different from the shower room)- all in about 500 sq ft maybe. He's THE nicest guy! Mid-30's, a manager for a consulting firm, single, tall, and just peachy. I must admit I was a little nervous about staying in a complete stranger's apt (he lives here too), but after meeting him I have absolutely no worries at all. Just a nice man looking to earn some extra cash having tourists rent out a room. He says he's usually booked all the time. We're paying 75 Euros/night, which is a great price for the space we have! So we were SUPER relieved to get in, take a shower, freshen up, and then head out on the town.
Found an awesome fountain on the way to our destination.

First... Notre Dame.
Can I just say it was a beauty I have never seen before. Just amazing! With the architecture, the statues, the stained-glass windows, the paintings, and everything it was simply beautiful. We rented one of those guided-audio tours (a small hand-held device you hold close to your ear and listen as it guides you along the tour). It was very interesting to hear why Notre Dame was built and what the significance of so many things was! Did you know that it took over a century to build? And the only reason it was built was for the people to show their dedication to God? And six days a week, there are three worship sessions held every day!
We even got to watch one!
Soooo interesting.
I was super bummed when we tired to go up on top by the gargoyles and they were closed (they close at 5pm). So we'll be going back tomorrow or the next day to do that.
Next was our stroll down the Left Bank of the Siene (I think that's what it's called) River. We decided to walk to the Eiffel Tower instead of taking the Metro. It couldn't be too far down the way. So we walked and walked, and watched people, and crossed cobblestone roads, and walked and walked, and then I saw the top of it way off in the distance. But it was still totally far away. So the next Metro station we came to we hopped on. We figured another mile or two to get to it was too far for our already-fatigued legs.
The Eiffel Tower is HUGE! We knew it was big, but there's really no describing it unless you see it! I mean, it literally hurts your neck to lean back and take pictures of it.
But just awesome. We'll totally be coming home with one of those little Eiffel Tower figurines, not that we've been there we figure we just have to have one. But we didn't get to go up. The stairs were closed due to the wind (seriously windy today which turned to very cold which we were unprepared for), and the line to go up the elevator was like a 1/2 mile long so we decided we'd come back when we were more prepared. So after walking around for a bit, we headed back on the Metro towards our apt. Stopping for a quick bite to eat at McDonalds (came by recommendation from Kam "You HAVE to eat at McD's in Paris, it's seriously amazing!"), and it did not disappoint. Whether it's actually delicious, or we were just starving from barely eating in 3 days I don't know. It was just good. Plus we felt we owed them that much since they saved our tushies earlier.
And now here we are, almost midnight in Paris, getting ready for bed in our little Parisian apartment, with our French host (David) in the other room.
Tomorrow will be a great day! We are very excited. And will update you again tomorrow.
We love Paris.

Au revoir,
Wendi
5 comments:
mmm sounds so amazing!!! love it!
Oh, I love computers, internet, wifi, email and just everything electronic because I love hearing about your daily trip. I am seriously crying right now. What a wonderful entry. Thank you for the update. I am so glad you are having such a wonderful time. I hope you have good shoes (oh right, wendi you just bought some new ones). I hope they serve you well!
aaaahhh! im smiling during this whole post. im so happy you guys are spending time together and having so much fun.
LOVE IT! Yay! I'm so glad you guys are having such a great time! I'm so jealous! But I love hearing about it all! haha! What a great idea to log all your experiences everyday! Can't wait to hear more! Enjoy! Love you both!
Hooray! I'm so glad you're loving it. At least where I was, everyone called MickeyD's "Mac-Doh." Just a little insider tip. Please, please, please, eat a pain au chocolat for me! And seriously, if you need to know how to say anything, you can always text me! (801.369.0803)
HAVE FUN!
Post a Comment