Euro Trip
Day 4
So. It's Friday morning, and we still needed to see the Eiffel Tower (from the top). A quick shower and croissants on the way, but first a stop at the train station to buy our tickets to Nice for that afternoon. We get to the front of the line at the ticket desk, only to find out the time we wanted to leave was booked. Great. So it's either leave 2 hours earlier, or 4 hours later. We decided we'd book it over to the Eiffel Tower and take the earlier train. So with tickets in hand, we jump on the Metro, and are up for the challenge. Half way there, the train breaks down (or so we think, not sure what exactly they said because it was in french) and they make everyone exit the train. Bummer. So we're stuck in this random station, with no trains leaving because this one is stuck not moving right in front of us. So much for booking it to the tower! We knew we'd never make it, so we just walked up the stairs to go do some shopping. It was kind of nice just casually walking the small back-streets of Paris, watching restaraunt owners set up chairs outside, and vendors bringing out oodles of scarfs to sell. So I bought one - A scarf. A purple one and I love it, but it smells kind of funny right now because it needs to be washed. We also stopped at a Creperie and had a chocolate crepe. Delicious. Time flew by quick and it was time to head back to the apartment to grab our bags and get to the train station. Now it's not like we were taking our sweet time or anything, but I guess we should've been moving faster. (Have I mentioned yet that we have no watch? It's really starting to cause some problems.) After asking someone on the train for the time we literally ran (as fast as you can run carrying a 30 lb duffle bag and huge backpack) through the train station to find where our train was. And you know, those boards with all the train info on them are not the easiest thing to read. With all the little things adding up, we were late. Yes, we missed our train. UGH! Definitely not in the plans for the day. So we went to the ticket booth, and traded our tickets for the train four hours later. So no Eiffel Tower and still we took the later train. We were super bummed about the situation and I knew we had to turn it around or our day would be ruined. So I suggested we lock up our bags in the lockers at the station, and we head to Montemarte. (Not enough time to do the Eiffel Tower.) And that's exactly what we did! When we got over there, we walked around inside and took some pics (of which I will load later), then ate at some hole-in-the-wall joint. Cameron really wanted us to eat Kabobs, but I don't think this place we found is exactly what he was thinking. Still good food though.
So we ended up getting back to the train station with time to spare (thank goodness!). This train was waaaay nicer than our overnight train to Paris. We napped and watched the scenery as we passed. Cameron kept asking me if I wanted to watch a movie, and I repeatedly replied "No I want to look out the window!" He then told me, "You're boring!" Who WOULDN'T want to watch out the window when you're on a train in France?
So now we're in Nice. Looks like a fun town! We got in late last night so haven't really seen it, but it sure was hoppin last night! Especially here, at this hostel we're staying at. I haven't been around this many drunk college kids probably ever. I was totally out of my comfort zone last night watching everyone around us. And staying in our room is even more interesting. There are four beds (all bunks), and our other two roommates are guys. Very fun for me. (I hope you can feel the sarcasm in that statement.) One of them came in last night, seems like a very nice guy! Actually an accountant. He's from Austrailia, and has been working in Germany for the past little while. He is now touring the south of Europe for 2 1/2 months before he goes back home to Brisbane. During the 30 minutes we talked he slammed 3 beers and changed his pants right in front of us. But a nice guy nonetheless. Our other roommate came in while we were watching a movie. The WORST body odor I have EVER smelled! Wow! It lingered in the room for 15 minutes after he left. So disguisting. He's European, right?
So this morning we've showered the quickest showers of our lives - less than 3 minutes because the shower doesn't drain and was almost overflowing. And we're dressed and ready to head out. The European roommate got up way early and just walked out the door. No bathroom, shower, brushed teeth or anything. Just got up and left. The other guy, the accountant is still sleeping.
Here we go! Wish us luck with this place!
-Wendi
No comments:
Post a Comment